Classic Sponge Cake

imageI made this cake today for some of my friends. I think they enjoyed it, I’m not really sure, but I hope so. It is sort of the first sponge I made so I think it was successful. I have made it before for lamingtons but I have never made it alone, just to eat.

Ingredients

95g self-raising flour

25g cornflour

4 eggs, separated

100g caster sugar, 2 tbsp extra for the egg whites

1 tsp of vanilla essence

1/4 tsp cream of tartar, I replaced with 4 tsp of lemon juice because I had no cream of tartar

Cream and strawberries to top

Method

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius. Grease and line a circle cake pan. Sift the flour and cornflour together, and set aside.

Using an electric mixer, whisk together egg yolks, the 100g of caster sugar and vanilla essence for 2-3 minutes, until thick and mouse like. Set aside.

Whisk egg whites until starting to froth, then add cream of tartar or lemon juice and continue to whisk until stiff but not dry. Whisk in the 2 tbsp of sugar gradually.

Fold a large scoop of whisked egg white into the beaten yolks, to slacken the mixture, then fold in the sifted flour and finally egg whites, until just combined.

Turn the mixture into the prepared tin, gently smoothing the top. Place in oven, reducing the temperature to 170 degrees Celcius, and bake for 30 minutes. Check if the cake is cooked before taking it out of the oven by very gently pressing with an index finger to check if the centre of the cake is firm. If so, remove from the oven and check the d’être with a very fine skewer – it should come out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack, to make sure the top is nicely set.

Once cooled, split the cake by cutting with a sharp knife into two even rounds. Top the base with whipped cream and strawberries, then place the second cake layer on top.

Note: Recipe is not my own – The Great Australian Cookbook- Margaret Fulton and Suzanne Gibbs

9 thoughts on “Classic Sponge Cake

1. Hi Meg! I am Katey from Mrs. Kriese’s class in Texas, a part of #16stubc! I find it really cool how you measure your temperature in Celsius- we measure in Fahrenheit! We also measure in cups and tablespoons/teaspoons. I love to bake too- how often do you bake? Have you tried any other recipes? Come and visit my blog at http://edublogs.eanesisd.net/katherine8482022/.

1. Hi Katey. Thank you for coming to look at my blog. Oo Fahrenheit confuses me so much! I saw on your blog you made cookie monster cupcakes. How did they turn out? I bake at least once a week, I make sweets to take to school for a snack. I enjoy making brownies and cookies and cupcakes.

2. Hey Meg!! I’m Christina from Mrs. Kriese’s class in Texas, part of the #16stubc challange! I really enjoyed reading your post about baking a that cake! It looks really delicious and who knows maybe I’ll make it to! I noticed that you measure temperature in Celsius- we measure in farenheight! Please come visit my blog at: http://edublogs.eanesisd.net/christina8522022/
    Thanks!
    ~Christina❤️

1. Hi Christina! I checked out your blog and found that you got tickets to see Panic! At the Disco. I hope you enjoy seeing the concert next year. You should make the cake because it is so yummy.

1. Thank you so much!! I hope so too! Haha I’ll attempt to make the cake. Let’s see how good my baking skills are first.

3. Hey Meg! I really liked that you did a blog post about baking. The classic sponge cake looked like a really good dessert to try! I really enjoy baking different things such as cupcakes. What is your favorite thing to bake? Please go check out our class blog https://mcdowellmedia.edublogs.org/

1. Thank you for commenting on my blog and taking the time to visit my blog. I really like baking brownies, especially red velvet ones. They are so yummy!

1. Hi Laura, You should really make that cake, it is yum. What kind of things do you like to make? What is your favourite? Thanks for visiting my blog!